15th January 2021
Dry January at Langton’s
Dry January is the New Years Resolution sweeping the country. According to Alcohol Change UK, “Dry January is the UK's one-month booze-free challenge that helps millions reset their relationship with alcohol every year. 86% of participants saved money. 70% of participants had better sleep and 66% had more energy.” That’s probably why it’s growing more popular every year.
We’ve pulled together some tips to help you be successful if you take the Dry January pledge, including some drink substitutions from our head chef.
• Try different flavours when you’re not drinking to keep your palette occupied. Think curries, baked Camembert, deep fried mozzarella or jerk chicken.
• Consider locking your alcohol cupboard and giving the key to a trusted friend. They can help you stay accountable while home.
• Take all the money you would normally spend on alcohol and put it in a visible place (like on your kitchen counter), then when the month is up, treat yourself to something nice.
• For mocktails, keep them fruity and summery to make you think you’re on holiday during the cold month. Why not try this punch recipe of 500ml pineapple juice, 500ml orange juice, 60ml grenadine, 60ml lime juice, fresh lime slices and Maraschino cherries for garnish?
• If you’re a beer lover, many major producers make a non-alcoholic version you can order instead.
• If you’re a wine lover, consider swapping for flavoured sparkling water or non-alcoholic wines that; while limited in variety, provide a similar flavour experience.
• Consider taking the pledge with your spouse or a close friend so you can encourage each other as the month goes on.
• Plan events to attend in the evenings where alcohol would not really play a role. Consider sporting events or church outings as viable option.
Read more on our blog
Read more on our blog to keep up to date with recipes and everything going on at our restaurant.